Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Recipe for Meatball and Mashed Potato Casserole

I barely had time to snap photos before the whole casserole was gone!

My family loves meatball casserole and wishes I made it more often. I thought this hearty dish was perfect to make with a swirling snowstorm outside. This version is based on a casserole recipe from a card in the Healthy Meals in Minutes collection.

Ingredients:
  • 2 Zucchini or yellow squash
  • Canola or olive oil
  • 15 to 18 Meatballs
  • 6 to 8 cups Mashed potatoes
  • Grated cheese, optional
How I put it together:
  1. Into a greased casserole dish, I grated 2 yellow squash (zucchini also works well and lends a nice green color). Cooking oil was lightly drizzled and gently mixed into the squash.
  2. I baked the squash crust at 350 F for about 20 minutes to remove some of the moisture.
  3. I made meatballs and cooked them on a baking sheet. These were then placed onto the zucchini crust in the casserole dish.
  4. I made mashed potatoes by combining some potatoes I peeled, boiled and mashed with mashed potatoes from a box. The mashed potatoes were spread over the meatballs to form the top layer. I opted out of adding grated cheese since my husband is not a dairy fan.
  5. The casserole was baked at 400 F for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes were slightly browned. Parsley flakes were sprinkled on top before serving.



My plated serving of meatball and mashed potato casserole.

No comments: