Saturday, April 10, 2010

Colored Pistachio Art and Napkin Rings: Craft of the Week - Part 2



We finally completed the gluing process with our dyed pistachio shells!  First the kids and I made some framed art.  Theirs turned out to be more abstract than my floral design above.


To find out how we colored the pistachio shells and pasta, see Part 1 of this craft.

Materials for Colored Pistachio Shell Art:
  • colored pistachio shells and/or pasta
  • Elmer's Glue All
  • white paper
  • straight twigs, broken and cut to fit the edges of the paper


The napkin rings were a solo project that I did.  Hot glue and little fingers don't mix.  The blue denim should match my mother's kitchen colors.  I will choose a different fabric to wrap the cardboard rings if I make a set for myself.

Materials for Colored Pistachio Shell Napkin Rings:
  • colored pistachio shells
  • hot glue and glue gun
  • long fabric strip or ribbon (I used denim from old size 4T jeans)
  • cardboard tube, cut into sections
  • buttons (mine were salvaged from a stained shirt)
This post is linked to Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative, DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land and...
giveawaysSYS Mothers Day

    3 comments:

    Suzanne said...

    So cute. I would be happy to be the pistachio shell provider. Love 'em -- as food and shell art!

    Julianna said...

    This is so cute! I'd love for you to link up at my Flower Week linky party. http://singingthreelittlebirds.blogspot.com/2010/05/flower-week-linky-party.html

    Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

    SO cute! There is an Artist an Cleveland who does pistachio shell art: Corlette T. Baylock!!