Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Harvest of Green: Making Tomato Salsa Verde


Our first wet snow fall here in Nebraska came last Wednesday.  The next day, we uncovered the biggest tomato of all in our last harvest of the season.  I decided to try making green tomato salsa with some of the tomatoes; the rest are ripening inside the kitchen. 

Next year I hope to have more sun-ripened tomatoes by moving our little square-foot garden to a sunnier location in our yard.  But in the meantime, it's nice to know that green tomatoes can be transformed into tangy salsa.

Recipe for Green Tomato Salsa
adapted from this recipe


1 cup fresh green tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup red tomatoes, diced
1 clove minced garlic
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
chopped green onions (to taste)
chopped green bell pepper, optional
chopped cilantro, optional


Are you a fan of green tomatoes?

4 comments:

Amelie said...

Was it tasty? I have never eaten green tomatoes, don't know if I like it... Love Amelie

Anonymous said...

Looks good. With all the tomatoes we've gotten, I don't think I tried making anything before they ripened. =p I'll have to check if there are any more growing out there.

Aiming4Simple said...

@ Amelie - I liked it, though it was a tad sour compared to red tomato salsa. I may try adding Vidalia onions next time (per the recipe I adapted mine from).

n*stitches said...

Yes! I love green tomatoes! i can't wait to try your recipe! Stopping by to say hi and follow your blog!