Sunny skies, melted snow, and no lawns being mowed yet meant there were plenty of empty cans along our street route today. All those shiny recyclables beckoned me to gather them. So, after a nice long bike ride, I decided to be bold and pick up cans I spotted instead of hurrying home; I let my son pick up a few as well. We counted our stash upon returning. The boy: 7, Momma: 17. Then we washed our hands thoroughly as soon as we went inside.
While we are never going to make a lot of money doing this, collecting aluminum cans has several important benefits:
- it reduces litter
- it conserves natural resources through recycling
- it teaches children that earning money is hard work
- calculate how many cans or bags of cans it takes to make a pound.
- calculate how much each can is worth, depending on the current price of aluminum.
- discuss how much energy is saved by recycling versus using raw materials.