Tuesday, August 30, 2011

DIY Pick Up Sticks Game : Colored Chopsticks


Classic games were a fun and important part of my childhood.  My children love games as well, and we have enjoyed playing board games like Sorry and Chutes and Ladders together.  But there are still many games I used to play that are still unknown to them.  One of them was Pick Up Sticks.  Instead of buying the game, I thought we could use what we have--bamboo chopsticks in this case.  Before teaching my kids how to play, I needed to refresh my memory on the standard rules; I found a good description of the game here.

Even my youngest child (who is four) has really liked playing this simple game.   I have discovered again how playing pick up sticks can be a fun way to hone our fine motor skills.  It's definitely challenging for players of many ages, including parents! 


Materials Used:
  • Bamboo chopsticks (new and/or reclaimed from takeout)
  • Unsweetened Koolaid packets
  • Water
  • Paintbrush
  • Old non-toxic markers
 
* Also pictured is cornstarch, to thicken the Koolaid paint, which I do not recommend.  It made the chopsticks sticky.  I had to rinse them off, which also removed some of the color. 

How to make it:

  1. Mix colored Koolaid powder with water to create paint.  Paint each chopstick the desired color.
  2. Dip old marker tips in water and color each chopstick.
  3. Allow chopsticks to dry.
  4. Decide how you will play the game, assigning a point value to each color, etc. 

    3 comments:

    Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

    I love thrifty kids crafts. This looked like it was a lot of fun for the kids!

    I am a new follower from the Kids Get Crafty. If you have a chance come by http://messforless.blogspot.com and say hi.
    Thanks!

    RedTedArt said...

    I remember playing this game as a child. It is brilliant :-) and what a fabulous way to recycle all those chopsticks! Brilliant!!!!

    Thanks for joining Kids Get Crafty - always fab to have you there!

    Maggy

    Betsy Escandon said...

    What a great idea. I loved pick up sticks as a kid. My kids aren't quite old enough for this game yet -- will have to file away for the future. Sounds like I need to check out Kids Get Crafty too.