Thursday, March 28, 2013

Simple Tip: How To Remove Melted Plastic From an Oven Rack

One of my bad habits is putting plastic containers and such in the oven to store them or dry them.  Sooner or later I forget to remove the plastic before I preheat the oven, and the results are predictably disastrous.  In the past, I have tried to remove plastic that I melted in my oven by reheating the plastic and scraping it off.  But this releases more fumes, some of which are probably toxic.  Chemical oven cleaner is another potentially toxic method of cleaning, and there is no guarantee that it would work on plastic, especially on a thick, hardened layer of goo.




I finally discovered better method of rescuing an oven rack. The first step is to cool the melted plastic so that it becomes brittle.  In colder climates, all this requires is stepping outside.  Or you can try fitting your oven rack into a deep freezer.  Once the plastic is cold, you can use a hammer to break apart the plastic.


To avoid warping the metal too much, you can use a wrench or another hard flat metal surface to brace the other side.


Then use the hammer claw to scrape off the bits of remaining plastic.  Voila!  No more plastic on your oven rack.

Have you ever accidentally melted plastic in your oven? How did you deal with it?


10 comments:

The Coderlambian said...

Great idea!

Anonymous said...

We all severely liked this kind of write-up. It is really truthfully fantastic. Mcdougal may perhaps be somewhat skillful. When i somewhat utilize the possible opportunity to discover this kind of home elevators this excellent site. thc vape pen canada

Anonymous said...

I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. ancona radiators

Anonymous said...

Must say that overall I am really impressed with this blog. It is easy to see that you are passionate about your writing. If only I had your writing ability I look forward to more updates and will be returning. Steroids UK online shop

Anonymous said...

Once I thought about things like: why such information is for free here? Because when you write a book then at least on selling a book you get a percentage. Thank you and good luck on informing people more about it! Premier Cattle Drench

Anonymous said...

Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article. I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article. Online steroid shop

Anonymous said...

The post is absolutely fantastic! Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need! Also like to Logo design admire the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer! I will bookmark your blog and have my children check up here often. Portable Toilets Gloucester

Anonymous said...

This is a nice post in an interesting line of content. Thanks for sharing this article, great way of bring this topic to discussion. cannabis retail businessplan Canada

Anonymous said...

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work. cannabis business

Anonymous said...

This is the perfect blog for anybody who wants to know about this topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you. You definitely put a new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Africa hemp CBD