Friday, September 13, 2013

Make It From Scratch: Fresh Naan, Lentil Salad, and Our Week in Review

Making food from scratch makes a lot of sense when you live in a town without a grocery store.  Inspired by Money Saving Mom's Make It From Scratch Week, I was hoping to make homemade bread for us to eat all week long.  That didn't happen, but I did try out a few new from-scratch recipes, like Indian flatbread (naan) and Italian Cabbage Rolls.  Here's how we did, in reverse order.


Friday
Today's lunch was homemade naan and lentil salad.  Tonight's menu is Vietnamese chicken and Chinese onion pancakes.

Thursday
We had leftover cabbage rolls as soup for lunch, but dinner was not homemade.  I didn't thaw any chicken, so I resorted to boxed frozen pizzas.

Wednesday
The long awaited Italian Cabbage Rolls finally appeared on our dinner table!  The traditional, non-Italian versions are hugely popular in Saskatchewan and Manitoba, thanks to the Ukranianian immigrant heritage.

Tuesday
I had planned to make pizza from scratch, but time was running low.  So deli chicken it was.  However, I did make Saskatoon Berry Applesauce Bars for an evening event.

Monday
"Brinner's ready!" Making a breakfast-type casserole for worked out well.  The recipe for Savoury Egg, Sausage, and Grits Casserole is now at Swirls and Spice.  I invite you to follow Swirls and Spice on Facebook or subscribe to new posts there so you get all of my latest recipes as soon as they are published!


What did you make from scratch this week?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Valuable info. Lucky me I found your site by accident, and I am shocked why this accident did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it. Shroom chocolates