Sunday, May 3, 2015

Living Below the Line: How Do People Get Enough?

Life balance is still a work in progress for me.  I'm still looking for a way to structure my time at home more productively.  If I can be more disciplined in accomplishing what I need to do at home first, then I can enjoy experimenting in the kitchen more without regret.  While I have taken a break from posting here, I am actively sharing recipes at my other blog, Swirls and Spice.



Keeping things simple and affordable have remained important values for our family.  Last week, though, I was challenged to put myself in the shoes of those who have to live on even less.  Have you heard of the Live Below the Line Challenge?  In keeping with the spirit of the challenge, I developed a Mexican Frittata recipe.  Would you care for a slice?


The cost came in at just under $1.00 per serving, which I think is an excellent value, considering how nutrient dense the frittata is.  And it was delicious too!

And yet if I was allotted just $1.75 per person per day, that would leave only $0.75 left for two more meals.  This would limit our options to things like a peanut butter sandwich for lunch ($0.50) and oatmeal for breakfast ($0.25).  Adding a banana for some fresh fruit ($0.30) would put me over budget.  Even with the fruit, the food would offer only 915 calories for the day, about half the amount needed for a school-age child or adult.

So how do people with limited resources manage to feed their families?  Food banks, it seems, are part of the answer in Canada and the U.S.  Because try as I might, I can't see how to nourish my family of six on $10.50 CDN a day.  Could you do it?

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks really good. I can just taste it now.
Angel

rohanrj said...

A splendid unprecedented putting improvement - The amigo joined with when i considered moved straight into which as regularly as would be prudent could unconventional sounding spot basically by follow the yellow's illustrative chronicled past. online weed store

Anonymous said...

I‘d mention that most of us visitors are really endowed to exist in a fabulous place with very many wonderful individuals with very helpful things. Testosterone booster

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your comment. I am waiting for this information. Join now to share and to make our world more interesting. See you next time. How to Play Slots

Anonymous said...

The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. cannabis businessplans Canada

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of blogs and articles out there on this topic, but you have acquired another side of the subject. This is reliable content thank you for sharing it. cannabis delivery business

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of blogs and articles out there on this topic, but you have acquired another side of the subject. This is reliable content thank you for sharing it. τίτλους ειδήσεων της ημέρας

Anonymous said...

This article is well thought out and full of good information. Many Thanks for taking time to bring this together into one article. hemp nursery business plan

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more ... good luck. Online Kitchen Appliances

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful and creative. I just love the colors and whoever gets it in the mail will be smiling. pompano beach oceanfront rentals

Anonymous said...

Those guidelines additionally worked to become a good way to recognize that other people online have the identical fervor like mine to grasp great deal more around this condition. jual pintu baja

Anonymous said...

Very good article, not only feel good, I nearby of all the friends all say this is a very good article, Believe that will see more such a good article to share. production automation edmonton

Anonymous said...

Well I must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post. ISO certified shop edmonton

Anonymous said...

Wow i like the sea side and i have haired that Hawaii is a must visit place because of long waves that move from height and talk to skies. gfrp cost

moumita said...

Such a Good post! Thanks for sharing. Really very useful and informative post. Hair Salons In Kolkata

Catherine Sydney said...

Hi intelligent, good paragraph and pleasantwriting, urging to comment on this platform, I am in fact enjoying all your webpage posts on a daily basis.

ROMY said...

Life balance is still a work in progress for me. I'm still looking for a way to structure my time at home more productively. If I can be more disciplined in accomplishing what I need to do at home first, then I can enjoy experimenting in the kitchen more without regret.
sling bags

Ashlee Rolfson said...

The author's insights shed light on the difficulties faced by many individuals and families, highlighting the importance of empathy and understanding in addressing these issues. 100k In A Year Read Now If you're interested in exploring ways to earn a substantial income, then I encourage you to read on.