Got 5 minutes? This game kept my almost 3-year-old son busy all afternoon. His older siblings and their friends enjoyed it too! That's a pretty grand payoff for the minimal time and materials required to make it all. Simple summer games certainly work for me and my kids. I think this could also be a fun VBS or birthday party activity as well.
What we used:
- Wading pool (or other large container) with a bit of water
- Styrofoam egg cartons (craft foam would also work)
- Shiny metal paper clips
- Ribbon (or string)
- Old fishing poles (or sticks)
- Magnet clip or magetic alphabet letter
- Cut fish shapes out of the foam. Clip on a paper clip over each fish head.
- Tie a string to the fishing pole. Instead of a hook, affix a magnet chip to the end of the line.
- Release fish into pool of water. Instruct child to drag the magnet on the line near the fish "mouths" until the magnet sticks to the paper clip.
- Count up how many fish get caught.