Saturday, June 5, 2010

Recipe for Savory Bratwurst Stew

Since my husband and I like brats, but my children are not big fans, I was looking for a way to incorporate them into another dish. I have used leftover brats in this corn chowder recipe , but I didn't have any natural ham or bacon to liven things up. So I tried my own variation of  bratwurst stew (from Johnsonville) with turkey bratwurst instead of beef. The resulting stew was delicious and lower in fat because of the turkey. It would taste even better with lamb brats, which are available at our local farmers market. 



Ingredients:

4 cups beef or chicken broth
2 tomatoes, halved and sliced
1 package turkey bratwurst, browned and sliced
4 red potatoes, eyed and chopped into bite-sized cubes
1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped cabbage
1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
3 Tablespoons corn starch
1/4 cup cold water

Bring broth to a boil and add tomatoes, potatoes, carrots and onion. After about 5 minutes, add bratwurst slices and green beans. Turn heat down to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are cooked through.
Whisk together corn starch and cold water and add to thicken stew, cooking for another 2 minutes.

Crock pot instructions: Add first eight ingredients to slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Whisk together cornstarch and water; add to stew and cook for 30 minutes or until thickened.

This dish is linked to Just Something I Whipped Up at the Girl Creative.

No comments: