Thursday, August 11, 2011

Black Cherry Berry Smoothie Recipe

Needing to increase my fruit and vegetable intake, I've been wanting to try and perfect a green smoothie recipe.  Alicia's example inspired me to take the plunge at last.  Not one to measure ingredients, my first smoothie attempt had a definite spinach flavor.  It was drinkable and nutritious, but not very appealing.

Enter my latest fruit discovery, black cherry juice.  Adding the rich cherry flavor made the blended spinach totally undetectable.  And completely delicious!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 banana
  • 6 strawberries
  • 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries (my blend had raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries)
  • 1/4 cup 100% black cherry juice
  • 1/4 cup sweet red juice (such as fresh watermelon, cranberry blend, or apple kiwi strawberry).
  • handful of baby spinach leaves, optional
  • a touch of maple syrup, optional
[All measurements are approximate.]


* The recipe above makes one large smoothie, but can be easily doubled or quadrupled for more servings.


* You can also add kefir or milk if you like.


4 comments:

Alicia said...

I think this sounds SO delicious!! I'm craving one right now. Really want to check out this black cherry juice. :D

Anonymous said...

That sounds soooo yummy, and I'm not even a fan of cherries.

Debra Daniels-Zeller said...

Ah sneaking the spinach in. Brilliant!

Katie said...

All these tasty nutritious green smoothie recipes have inspired me but I still drink mine pretty green. Perhaps the black cherry juice can be my latest fancy add in, sounds very yummy and all those antioxidants!