Needing to increase my fruit and vegetable intake, I've been wanting to try and perfect a green smoothie recipe. Alicia's example inspired me to take the plunge at last. Not one to measure ingredients, my first smoothie attempt had a definite spinach flavor. It was drinkable and nutritious, but not very appealing.
Enter my latest fruit discovery, black cherry juice. Adding the rich cherry flavor made the blended spinach totally undetectable. And completely delicious!
- 1/2 banana
- 6 strawberries
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries (my blend had raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries)
- 1/4 cup 100% black cherry juice
- 1/4 cup sweet red juice (such as fresh watermelon, cranberry blend, or apple kiwi strawberry).
- handful of baby spinach leaves, optional
- a touch of maple syrup, optional
[All measurements are approximate.]
* The recipe above makes one large smoothie, but can be easily doubled or quadrupled for more servings.
* You can also add kefir or milk if you like.