A burst of color is what we need as we await the beauty of spring that is still yet to come. And with some Jolly Rancher candies and our oven, we made a lovely suncatcher in the shape of an Easter egg. It now hangs in the window, catching rays of sunlight through the translucent colors to brighten up the kitchen. It's easy to make your own suncatcher by melting hard candy. Here's how.
- hard candy in assorted colors (we used Jolly Rancher candies)
- baking parchment
- baking tray
- metal skewer
- waxed dental floss or ribbon
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F (140 C). Line the baking tray with parchment.
- Arrange the candies on the parchment in an eye-pleasing roundish shape.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the center is melted flat.
- Tilt the warm tray to swirl the colors a bit and to even out the shape.
- Allow the disc formed to cool. Trim the edges with a knife or break off small shards to even out the edges somewhat.
- Heat the pointed end of the metal skewer over a stove top burner and puncture a hole near the top of the disc. Allow the edges of the hole to harden before threading with floss or ribbon.
- Hang up your suncatcher near a window.