Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sausage, Egg, Spinach, and Rice Casserole (Dairy Free)




Hot breakfasts are lovely, though I rarely eat them, except on mornings when I attend MOPS.  I decided to be daring again and adapt a previous dairy free casserole recipe---this time for a larger group.  Why do I experiment like this so often when the stakes are high?  Ideally I would test the new recipe at home first, but duty called, and I was short on time (as usual).

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground sausage, crumbled
2 cups cooked rice
8 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp flax milk or rice milk
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup (packed) chopped fresh spinach
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika


How to Make It:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brown sausage in a medium saute pan. Turn off heat and add green onions and spinach.  Remove sausage mixture from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, salt, paprika and flax milk (or rice milk). Add beaten eggs and whisk to blend. Stir in browned sausage mixture and rice.
  3. Into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish, pour egg, sausage and rice mixture.
  4. Bake at 350 F degrees for 50 minutes or until eggs are set in the middle.


All of the ingredients were what I had on hand, and hence I did not use squash.  The sausage and spinach mingled well, as I suspected.  Success was not certain until I tasted the dish myself and gauged the reactions of the other women at the meeting.  My aim was that no one would notice the missing cheese and milk.   And even though a casserole without dairy is almost inconceivable, desperation triumphed.  I photographed what was left.

There is now another casserole recipe to enjoy on my MSPI diet.

This recipe can be found at Pennywise Platter Thursday at the Nourishing Gourmet.

1 comment:

Racket said...

Just found you via http://moneysavingmom.com. Awesome! Are you on facebook?