Monday, June 25, 2012

How We Made 3 Birthday Pinatas in One Month

A "Starrific" Number 7 Pinata

As is the custom, I asked my soon-to-be 7-year-old what kind of birthday pinata she wanted this year. Unlike last year's unicorn pinata, her request was blessedly simple.   She wanted a number seven pinata. So in typical last-minute form, the morning before her afternoon party, we made it. We cut a cereal box to serve as the frame. It took around two hours to decorate and was gone in three smacks.

Our Easiest "Pinata" Ever!
Next, we had a mini-party for my son at a park where a weekly playgroup meets.  To help keep things simple, I let him make his own pinata.  I used Emma Salk's idea for an inside-out pinata. All that was required was:
  • tape
  • fruit snacks with his favorite characters.
  • a latex balloon
  • string for hanging
  • random stick for smacking


This Year's Tank Engine Pinata
And finally, I had promised to make a proper pinata for my son.  We made it for our family party at home.  He chose a Thomas-themed pinata for the second year in a row.  To attempt a tank engine required a few more materials however.


We used:
  • an empty oat canister with lid
  • a cardboard toilet paper roll
  • an empty cereal box
  • an empty ice cream cone box
  • glue
  • blue tissue paper
  • red crepe paper
  • black construction paper
  • paper plate (for the face)
  • black and blue markers/crayons
  • white or blue paper
  • string for hanging
  • tape for securing face to lid

Since I had made a similar pinata the previous year, it didn't take as long to make it the second time--less than two hours I think.  (I have a complete tutorial for a star pinata here. ) Again, speed, not perfection was my goal.  My son also had a wonderful time working with me to make it.

Thus, despite a busy summer of preparing to move, I concluded that keeping our birthday pinata tradition was worth doing.  My children seemed to agree.

2 comments:

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 1 post on Aug. 25, 2012. Thanks again.

Frances said...

Making birthday pinatas is always fun especially if you have your kid help you on the ideas of making one!